Ending Child Marriage in Michigan
Gaylord Zontians have advocated in Lansing to end child marriage. We have been raising awareness and inviting others to join the Michigan Coaltion to end Child Marriage. How you can help:
- Join and share UNICEF email campaign to State Legislators: https://act.unicefusa.org/childmarriage
- Join and share Unchained At Last’s email campaign to Michigan Legislators: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/urge-mi-legislators-to-end-all-child-marriage/
- Urge your groups and organizations to join the Michigan Coalition to End Child Marriage. For help contact Amber at email@example.com.
- Learn more and talk about it! Check out both https://www.unchainedatlast.org/child-marriage-shocking-statistics/ and https://www.unicefusa.org/stories/what-you-need-know-about-child-marriage-us/35059
Zonta Says NO to Violence Against Women
The Zonta Club of Gaylord Area publishes and distributes the above information card. Our club invites the public to “kNOw the signs, kNOw how to help” end both Human Trafficking and Domestic Violence.
- Human Trafficking Hotline 888-3737-888 and www.HumanTraffickingHotline.com
- Women’s Resource Center of Northern Michigan, 24 hour Crisis Hotline 800-275-1995 or www.WRCNM.org
- National Domestic Violence Hotline 800-799-7233 or www.TheHotline.org
16 Days Campaign
We invite community leaders, businessmen, husbands, fathers, brothers and sons to take a public stand to help raise awareness and prevent dating violence, sexual assault and all domestic violence. Zonta joins the United Nations to Orange the World during the 16 Days Campaign. The campaign runs every year from 25 November, the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, to 10 December, Human Rights Day.
Gaylord Athletes take White Ribbon Pledge
The Gaylord St. Marys Cathedral Basketball Team, Gaylord High Wrestling and Gaylord High Varsity Boys Basketball teams took the White Ribbon Pledge. “I pledge not to commit, condone or remain silent about violence against women and girls. From this day forward, I promise to be part of the solution to end all forms of this violence.” The campaign seeks to promote healthy relationships, gender equity and a compassionate vision of masculinity. The Zonta Club of Gaylord Area works in partnership with Women’s Resource Center of Northern Michigan urging athletes to use their visible role to help make positive social change by leading with respect.
Washing Away Violence Against Women
The Zonta Club of Gaylord Area makes handmade soap to raise funds for Zonta International Foundation for Women. It is made from a variety of oils and leaves your skin feeling soft and supple. 6 Bars cost $25.00 (including sales tax and shipping). Please send an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
In partnership with the Friends of the Otsego County Library we present Book Bags for Babies to new mothers at Otsego Memorial Hospital. In addition to a new board book and development wheel, we produce a brochure with local resources and information on the importance of reading to your newborn baby. The Zonta Club of Gaylord Area was honored for this literacy effort at the 1992 Zonta International Convention. We continue to spearhead this program today.
Over the years, the Zonta Club of Gaylord Area has hosted several Showerless Showers to support women and children who escape domestic violence. The program is supported by local businesses who help collect needed pantry and personal care items for the Women’s Resource Center of Northern Michigan (WRCNM) Safe Home. The WRCNM Safe Home provides a secure, caring and supportive place for survivors to heal from the emotional and physical pain of domestic abuse and regain control in their lives. https://www.wrcnm.org/get-help/safe-home/
Women Can Women Do Committee
A majority of the WRCNM’s Otsego County WCWD Luncheon Committee members are Gaylord Zontians. Zontians have also served as Table Designers and Table Captains. Additionally we support the event through attendance and by donations.
Supporting local Non-Profit Events